Thursday, April 1, 2010

Last Day Being Unemployed

We moved to Independence almost 6 weeks ago, and since that time I have not been working. Before we moved, I was employed as a 5th grade teacher in Little Rock. I have to admit that when I found out we were moving, there was a part of me that was a little giddy about the fact that I'd have a "break" from working. Anyone who teaches or knows a teacher knows that it is a very time-consuming (though rewarding) job. I worked many 11 hour days, and devoted at least one of my weekend days to grading, lesson planning, or general classroom projects. There were ( I'll admit numerous) times while teaching that the prospect of staying home all day sounded downright dreamy. When I moved to Little Rock, I never really got the chance to try out the whole "stay at home wife" thing because I got my job within 4 days of moving there. I knew that wasn't likely to happen as quickly this time around. Don't get me wrong, I didn't want to be at home permanently. I merely wanted a 2 week break, a vacation of sorts. I just wanted a chance to catch up on some things. To re-connect with my old friends Ellen, Oprah, Regis, Kelly, and the gals at The View. Sounds pretty good, right?

If there's one thing I've learned in these past 6 weeks it's this: Unemployment is highly overrated. As great as it's been to wake up and live my life without a schedule, it has very much grown old. There are only so many times that you can go to the mall or Target. It started to get to the point where I had to ration my errands and limit myself to one a day just so I could have something to do throughout the week! It has been depressing to realize that I could lie in bed all day doing nothing and it wouldn't matter. But of course, I don't. I am up before 7am with no plans. Plus, with everything that's been going on the last few weeks, I've had way too much time to sit around and think about things. I started to think that I might go insane if this continued.

I am happy to say that I got a job working for AAA here in Independence, and I start tomorrow. I worked at AAA in Omaha for the past 5 years during the summers and some school years. I will hold a similiar position to the one I had before, with a few more responsibilities. I am so ready to start! It will be a nice change of pace, and I'm looking forward to keeping busy.

*Side note: If I ever complain about this job for any reason, kindly direct me to this post so I can remember what it's like on the flip side. That will help me keep it all in perspective. Thanks :)



Love,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment