Thursday, May 20, 2010

Today's Update

Once again I felt some anxiety as I laid down for our ultrasound this morning. Not too much has changed since our last one. Unfortunately, Ethan's kidney that has already been quite enlarged is even more so. As soon as his abdomen showed up on the screen I could tell; it was a huge black circle. This certainly isn't a good thing, but it also isn't life-threatening, as a person can survive with one functioning kidney. Again his heart looked good, beating strong, and she still couldn't confirm anything wrong with it. She tried to get a good profile shot for us, but the little stinker had his arm in front of his face! The picture she did get of his head has his forearm and elbow sticking out, making it look like he's sportin' a large bird beak. Not exactly the photogenic pose I was hoping for ;)

I also asked about Ethan's overall growth, whether it was on track or not. An average baby at this many weeks weighs close to two and a quarter pounds. Ethan weighs one pound 9 ounces. So he is quite a bit smaller than he should be, but that is common for Trisomy 13 babies. I had a feeling he probably wasn't as big as he should be.

I'm still striving to remain optimistic right now, regardless of the news we receive at these appointments. Our next ultrasound is scheduled for 4 weeks from today, on June 17th. In the meantime, I'm just going to live in the moment and enjoy each day with Ethan. Which reminds me, I almost forgot to mention that I have maternity pictures scheduled for this weekend! On Sunday, Keith and I are meeting with a photographer who volunteers for an organization called Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep. They take photos for parents whose babies have a terminal illness or diagnosis. I think it will be a nice way to celebrate Ethan and this time we have together. I will be sure to post photos as soon as I can!

As always, thank you for your continued prayers and support.

Love,
Ashley

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Ashley. You, Keith, and Ethan are still in my daily prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy your maternity photos! We loved doing ours, what beautiful memories. Also, they estimated that Evie would be 4 and a half pounds when she was born, and she was 6 and a half (: Anything is possible friend (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you are going to LOVE doing those pictures!!! Can't wait to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those ultrasounds and how exciting and scary they could be! Thinking of you and Ethan!!! God bless, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. the pictures will be wonderful! i can't wait to see them...

    we're always remembering you keith and ethan in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, my name is Linda. My daughter gave birth in October to a daughter with trisomy 13. She was stillborn, but we treasured every moment with her, from the day the dianosis came in. We are so thankful for that time. She had many more visible symptoms than Ethan. If his heart is pretty normal, that is a true blessing. I just wanted to let you know that I will be praying for you, your husband, and Ethan. God is good and He will sustain you in the difficult times. Look for His blessings, great or small, for they will be sprinkled throughout your days ahead. I will keep believing a Ethan's healing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ashley, I saw your posting on the LWT13 website. We lost our Grace in October to T13. We treasured our ultrasounds so make sure you get them to give you all the pics and video they'll give you! We got U/S 's weekly just for the pics/videos. T13 babies really thrive in the womb, something they have a hard time doing outside. I am so thankful for your Ethan and his healthy heart!!! What a blessing. It is so hard to be a mommy carrying a sick baby, it is a bond you will share with others you will meet who have gone through it too. Just remember, what is going to be already is. You can't change it. God has a plan and it will come to pass. Just trust in Him! We will pray for you :)

    ReplyDelete