Tuesday, December 4, 2012

DIY Project- No-Sew Window Valance

Now that we're back in our house (and I've joined Pinterest), I've been scheming some projects for Keith and I to work on. The first one that I recently finished and want to share with you is a no-sew window valance. I made it for our basement window. I used to have a valance on it when we lived here before but to be honest, it was kind of ugly. I knew I wanted something different so I started looking online. I found a cute one on etsy, but becasuse our window is wider than a standard one, it would've cost me $80. I wasn't willing to shell out that kind of money for a valance, so I decided to look at turorials online to get ideas for how to make my own. I found a few helpful blogs here and here. I then shopped online and ordered some really cute fabric for only $5.99 a yard! Here's a pic of my fabric:
 
Since it has the decorative stripes, I decided I wanted to make a smooth box-style valance instead of a ruffly one. This was a little more challenging, since I had to make sure I make it a precise width and had to piece two sections together. But I think it turned out pretty well.  Here's the finished product:





Not bad, right? And the total cost was less than $25! To recap, here's the supplies I used:
  • 2 yds fabric (a duck cloth or outdoor fabric works best since it's heavier)
  • 1 roll Heat n Bond adhesive (I used the ultrahold variety)
  • Scissors
  • Iron/ironing board
Once I had a plan and all my measurements, it really was pretty easy to make. If you're sewing-challenged like I am, give it a try. You just might surprise yourself! Be sure to stay tuned for some more DIY projects to come...

Love,
Ashley

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, to great article, that content is very useful for cleaning purpose.
    Basement Finishing CT

    ReplyDelete